Re: problem with nvidia on debian buster

On 11/8/20, Vinko Tosevski <vinko.tosevski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Since a few days now I can no longer get my debian buster installation to
> load any kind of graphical interface. Historically I mostly used Ubuntu to
> run research software packages for transcriptomic analyses and therefore I
> need nvidia drivers and CUDA toolkit. At some point i decided to give
> Debian a try and everything was running OK, even after I had accidentally
> installed the newest nvidia 455 driver (bundled with cuda 11). Everything
> was working fine until a few days ago when I was greeted with the CLI after
> boot. The error messages were revolving around nvidia-persistenced service,
> nv module issues and /dev/nvidia not being there (and it isn't). What
> happened?

Hi, Vinko, just in case you're using a 5.9+ kernel, maybe this could be related:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-driver-not-yet-supported-for-linux-kernel-5-9/157263

More info there:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/nvidia-45528-is-incompatible-with-linux-59/

It's a long shot, but better safe than sorry.

Best regards.