Re: Email from user www-data

	Hi.

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 10:48:22AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> I suspected the package to be apache2, but that does not appear to be
> the case. That alias is present on boxen with no web server. Can anyone
> tell me which package, if any, provides /etc/aliases?

There's no package that provides that particular file, as far as package
contents (i.e. 'dpkg -S') are concerned.

The reason for this is it's forbidden to provide a single file with more
than one package, and at least exim4 and postfix (and probably sendmail
too, but I'm too lazy to check it) use /etc/aliases.
As far as I can tell both exim4 and postfix generate /etc/aliases from
their respective postinst scripts in the case /etc/aliases is missing.

In your specific case look no further than
/var/lib/dpkg/info/postfix.postinst, and that bug you want to file
should probably mention at least postfix and exim4 (possibly sendmail
too).

Reco