Re: Feasibility of speech recognition for note taking on dedicated laptop?

Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm a lousy typist. Trying to make notes on a laptop does not work well
> because typing interrupts my train of thought.
>
> Many years ago when I was a Windows user and Dragon Naturally Speaking
> was in its initial release I followed speech recognition casually - but
> not recently.
>
> Are there now end-user, Debian compatible, dictation applications that
> do NOT require proprietary software nor internet connectivity? My
> internet searching turned up primarily old material or tool-set packages
> packages aimed at programmers creating their own packages.
>
> Comments or suggestions?

Again one of these topics, where people post about software they do not
actually use.

Let me comment here my impressions. I studied speech processing and wrote my
thesis on dialog systems in 2007. Until about 2005 there were still some
open source tools like ViaVoice by IBM. Basically all of this was dropped
by 2010 - no idea why - might be something related to Google/Amazon, costs,
patents or whatever else.

I have not heard or seen any useful Linux tool - I mean not something like
Alexa that would send the audio recorded on the device to NSA for
processing.
One of the problems is surely the complexity and hardware requirements to
run such tool (I mean a dialog engine like Alexa).

However I do not understand why the linux community does not have a usable
STT application as even 10+y ago there were usable tools for windows.
And here we come to the original question. I have seen and tested some of
the windows tools 10+y ago. They implement some type of learning, adapting
themselves to the way you speak etc. In 2-3 months period the success rate
goes to 95-98%. Price back then was affordable - AFAIR 200-400 US
My advise, if you need such tool - look for commercial applications and
forget the linux crap. I am willing to convince myself in the opposite, but
looking what happens on the linux scene ... I've lost faith