Re: Feasibility of speech recognition for note taking on dedicated laptop?

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 05:58:25PM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 04, 2020 12:36:51 PM Curt wrote:
> > Maybe this open source, Java (is that still a thing?) app that runs
> > on Linux:
> >
> > http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/dictator/
>
> Yes, I believe that it is it, but maybe I saw an earlier version (although the
> web page listed above is copyrighted something to 2006).
>
> One of the things that made me uncomfortable was that it was written in Java,
> and I was concerned about the performance.  But, I never did try it.
>
> Looks like it is pretty much dead -- I tried to access the TWiki but was
> denied access.

A more recent project seems to be Mozilla Foundation's DeepSpeech [1]

    "DeepSpeech is an open source embedded (offline, on-device)
     speech-to-text engine which can run in real time on devices
     ranging from a Raspberry Pi 4 to high power GPU servers."

(Sorry for linking to Github. OTOH, they seem to have some page for
this, but it's a Javascript-only white hole [2], so I don't know
what's in there)

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech
[2] https://commonvoice.mozilla.org/

 - t