Re: Building my own packages

Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 09:32:31PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Where can I learn to do a similar thing for Debian? I'd like to have my
> > own package repository which:
> >
> > 1. Keeps my local patches and configure/build options.
> > 2. Gets updated and recompiled when the main Debian repository gets updated.
> > 3. Can have a higher preference for my Debian systems than the default Debian repositories.
>
> apt-build can do 1 and 3.
> 2 is tricky.
>
> And the trick here lies in the fact that building software should use a
> controlled, reproducible and deterministic environment (pbuilder,
> cowbuilder, buildd to name a few), and not a live OS installation with
> assorted packages and customizations.

Most certainly yes. In FreeBSD, poudriere provides this controlled
environment in the form of reference jails.

> Assuming, of course, that you need whatever you want to build working,
> not merely compiled somehow and installed somewhere.

Sure.

> But, since you're accustomed to do things FreeBSD way (and building
> something in controlled environment isn't something they do or promote)

This is incorrect.

> - just assume that apt-build can do updates too.

I'll take a look at it but from what you have written above, it's
probably not what I am looking for. From the man page, it looks more
like FreeBSD's portmaster ("fetch the source and build/install right
here for this particular system").

I would like for my custom packages to form a repo I could use from
several Debian systems.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/