unable to login

I was getting along quite well with my Debian 10.6 installation when I encountered a strange problem. I have Kde with Plazma installed in Debian and the machine is a dual installation with Windows 10.

When starting I selected Debian from Grub, that was normal and went through the startup routine also as normal and then ignoring the login
screen continued to bring up the Gui but when I tried to install two update packages, it refused to go any further. I played about with the
Gui quite alright but anything that required authorising failed. I could
access my email as normal.

I went out of the Gui into a console and all seemed normal, I login in
and commands were obeyed.

Can anyone help me with this problem please.

(I`m sorry for this message but I`m still in a bid place with all my medical problems and condition).