Re: Please be respectful

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 14:59:16 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 24 oct 20, 03:46:20, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> >
> > On 10/17/2020 1:59 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > This could be understood that in your opinion it is ok to be rude
> > > to a person unless that person has somehow earned your respect.
> > >
> > > Is this what you meant?
> >
> > 	It is neither what I said, nor what should properly be
> > inferred from it. As I already mentioned, there is a difference
> > between rudeness and disrespect.  There is also a big difference
> > between not respecting someone and being either rude or
> > disrespectful to them.  I am not quite sure it is really ever OK to
> > be rude.  I know it is never acceptable to engage in puerile
> > behavior such as name-calling or ad hominem attacks.
> >
> > 	It is also a very different thing to reserve one's respect
> > and one's opinions until someone has proven themselves than from
> > engaging in a gratuitous, unprovoked verbal attack.  Please do not
> > attempt to extrapolate from my statements beyond reasonable logical
> > boundaries. For one thing, it is rude to do so.  (But not
> > necessarily disrespectful.)
>
> I'm quite certain at least part of this huge discussion is caused by
> misunderstandings.
>
> This is my attempt to clarify at least some of it.
>
> Apparently I failed.

It's all a bit subjective. As I understand things, a stranger deserves
politeness, and also a default value of respect, which as Leslie says,
is worth nothing as it applies to every stranger.

Genuine, higher-than-default respect can only be earned, but politeness
should always be maintained, even in the face of rudeness. Here's
another Internet meme: wrestling with a pig gains you nothing but a
layer of mud, and amuses the pig.

--
Joe