Re: Please be respectful

On 10/24/2020 3:11 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 02:52:41AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

[...]

	A couple of decades ago I had to have spinal surgery [...]
What he thought of me as a person was completely irrelevant.

Nice example. If you now try to abstract from it, that means
exactly that: whatever criteria each one choses to be important
is none of your (or my) business.

That is exceedingly poor abstraction. What it means is I would have to be a complete idiot to allow my personal feelings to interfere in any way with my ability to continue living and breathing. It also means his manner, no matter how offensive, is in no way relevant to his skill.

Of course, there is also absolutely no way he or anyone else is going to hurt my feelings by being brutally truthful. The only thing that mattered is he felt he could fix me.

Our duty

Duty? Are you serious? I certainly never took an oath to Debian. Did you? My duty is what I choose it to be, and nothing else.

is to find ways of getting along together

	Who says?  It is definitely not my top priority.

while trying to respect this.

While trying to respect what? I never, ever *TRY* to respect anyone or anything. I either do or I do not. Neither is at all difficult.

Perhaps to someone else her physician's bedside
manners are more important that her own life?

	Are you suggesting women are idiots?  If not, then why do you say, "Her"?

In the great scheme of things, I am perfectly well aware my life is not particularly important. Not very long from now I will cease to live, and in less than a century - probably not much more than a decade - no one will have any idea who I was or even that I ever lived. Boo Hoo. That my life is far, far less important than many millions of other things does not, however, mean my life is not worth much more than many things. My personal feelings are way, way down that list.

It's on us to respect that.

No, it isn't. Not even a tiny bit. I respect anyone's right - male or female - to be as stupid as they want to be. That does not mean I respect them, nor can anyone anywhere compel me to do so. I also will not choose to mourn anyone killed by their own foolishness.