Re: Please be respectful

Le 17 octobre 2020 23:03:22 GMT+02:00, Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> a écrit :
On 18-10-2020 00:53, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:39:01PM -0700, Weaver wrote:
On 17-10-2020 15:05, Michael uplawski wrote:
Leslie Rhorer:
Until someone does earn respect, there is no reason anyone
should afford it them. It is utterly ridiculous to think everyone
deserves respect.

This is where you are excluding yourself from the human community. Face
it. Live with it. *We* will be fine, anyway.

Rubbish!

Tone not helpful here on either side.

Rubbish is rubbish
Some may see a point in dressing it up as otherwise.
I don't.

There are certain qualities which must be extended before you are worthy
of receiving them, trust, loyalty, to mention a couple, but you can
throw respect in there also, along with one or two others.
I have to earn the respect of every child I meet, and maintain the
standard every time I encounter that child in the future.
Some, in their retarded viewpoint, believe respect is something
engendered by social position.

Retarded is not a helpful term here or, indeed, anywhere.

Retarded is retarded.
You seem to prefer to believe it is aimed at an individual, when it is
clearly applied to a viewpoint.

Wrong!
Social position is engendered by earned level of respect.
`excluding yourself from the human community', what a load of puerile
ignorance!

Puerile here is also not helpful. Considered, constructive language
which advances a thought through viewpoint is preferable.
Another way of putting it "never argue with an idiot on the Internet.
After a couple of rounds, a dispassionate observer will not be able
to tell who's who"

Puerile is puerile.
`Immature, especially in being silly or trivial; childish'.
The terminology applies: employ it.
`Considered, constructive language' - is language which communicates
effectively.
`which advances a thought through viewpoint' - Pseudo-intellectual
waffle!
You know another method?
Observation is dependent on conditioned viewpoint.
Beginning, end, and entire middle of story.

If you were to treat your readers with a greater consideration for
their intellect, you might come across better.

A discerning intellect would have not sent this to me directly, would
have identified the aspects specified more accurately, and kept it on
list.

<snip>

See also Edward Gibbon - Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, chapter 2

We live in exactly those times, a classic example being played out
before our very eyes.

You currently just are making yourself look both arrogant and ridiculous. I guess this is why Andrew sent his reply just to you, instead of giving you another shovel to dig with.

I don't know what you are trying to achieve here, but I stand my point : your lack of respect for others is not welcome here.

Regards.
--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue