Re: Please be respectful

On 17-10-2020 16:59, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 16 oct 20, 16:46:42, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
>>
>> On 10/16/2020 4:57 AM, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
>>
>> > Feel free to ignore """lazy""" people from now on, but don't be
>> > irrespectful to them.
>> >
>> > You have no right to, and they don't deserve it.
>>
>> 	There is no such word - or concept - as irrespectful.
>
> Please excuse us non-native English speakers for such mistakes. As far
> as I can tell Pierre-Elliot meant "rude".
>
>> The point you were
>> apparently trying to make, however, is just completely wrong.  I, and anyone
>> else, have every right to reserve my respect from whomever I choose.
>> Respect is *EARNED*. It is not a right and it is not a privilege.  Until
>> someone does earn respect, there is no reason anyone should afford it them.
>> It is utterly ridiculous to think everyone deserves respect.  If it is
>> afforded to everyone, then it becomes totally worthless.
>
> This could be understood that in your opinion it is ok to be rude to a
> person unless that person has somehow earned your respect.
>
> Is this what you meant?

I think this might be classified as a `qualified' interpretation.
This was not the assertion put forward.
Nowhere is this stated.
The property put forward is `respect'.
Nowhere is it stated that it's O.K. to be rude to somebody because they
don't respect you.
What _I_ would put forward is it's O.K. to be rude to somebody who has
imposed rudeness upon you.
But I'm generally better at it.
Cheers!

Harry

--
`Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
by the wise as false,

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Registered Linux User: 554515