Re: /home as a symlink?

Jesper Dybdal wrote:

> On 2020-10-16 11:45, Yoann LE BARS wrote:
> > On 2020/10/16 at 11:23 am, Jesper Dybdal wrote:
> > > Can I simply move the files and then make /home a symlink to /disk2/home?
> > 	You can, but I think a better way is to simply mount the partition as
> > /home.
> Thanks for your response.  That would be the natural way of doing it if I
> were partitioning a new disk.  But I don't want to do that, and the target
> disk also has other data, so /home cannot be a complete partition.

I'm already running my Debian with $HOME set to a different path:
/home.disk2/<username>

All I needed to change was the /etc/passwd entry: to the new, different
location; nearly eveything worked fine since then.

I started with this constellation years ago and never changed the path
afterwards. So I don't have any experience in case of a move.

The only "program" which caused issues in the past was apparmor.
For this, I modified: /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home.d/site.local
and added: @{HOMEDIRS}+=/home.disk2

For the future, I see with doubts that systemd wants to make the home
directory portable and if this will cause issues for my constelation.

Best regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27