Re: /home as a symlink?

Jesper Dybdal composed on 2020-10-16 12:18 (UTC+0200):

> Yoann LE BARS wrote:

>> Jesper Dybdal wrote:

>>> Can I simply move the files and then make /home a symlink to /disk2/home?

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't, but maybe there is a reason that
escapes me why you shouldn't.

>> 	You can, but I think a better way is to simply mount the partition as
>> /home.

> Thanks for your response.  That would be the natural way of doing it if
> I were partitioning a new disk.  But I don't want to do that, and the
> target disk also has other data, so /home cannot be a complete partition.

Why do you think the presence of non-home data on a filesystem prevents its use
mounted to /home? /home is a perfectly good place to put "other" data on my 40 PCs.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/