Re: Please be respectful

Hello Harry,

thanks for your answer.

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 02:12:45 -0700
Weaver wrote <weaver@riseup.net>:

> Being polite is a standard that has to apply to all.

Agreed.

> I consider the original post not to be.

I do believe it could have been "more considerate",
but it didn't "cross my line", which your post did.
That's why I took the time to write the "please be respectful" email.

My main point of criticism is that independently of the original post,
it's a bad idea to escalate the situation by being sarcastic.
I prefer to directly confront the poster with the problem (as I'm doing
in this case) and ask for a different communication style.

> To me I see an outstanding example of laziness ...

I guess that's where the main clash is.

Sometimes I find myself thinking the same way about what other people do.

But after some experiences of being nasty with other people, ruining
relationships for almost nothing, I've come to the conclusion that "Assume
good faith" as mentioned in the Debian Code of Conduct is a much better
strategy to deal with issues of that kind.

In many cases I've often found that my initial judgement (he's lazy,
nobody needs that feature, etc.) was wrong and it was a good idea not to
express my opinion.
In other cases I find myself to be right. Usually there's no need to
point to that. People expose their faults (lazyness, etc.) themselves -
sooner or later.
Sometimes I support them doing so with polite questions ;-)

Best regards,
Christoph