Re: one thing i don't like about Thunar file manager

On 10/14/20, kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Let's say there are three files with the names -
>> > apple-pie
>> > banana-split
>> > orange-juice
>> >
>> > On the file manager window, I would type the letter o and the file
>> > 'orange-juice' would be selected.  However, I would also want the
>> > ability to select that file by typing j (for juice).
>> >
>> > This is possible with another file manager, but not with Thunar as far
>> > as I can tell.
>> > Am I wrong?  What other file managers would you recommend for my
>> > Debian system that has that feature?

Don't know if you're in Stable, OldStable, Testing, etc., but at least
the Testing version of 'pcmanfm-qt' has that feature, you can try it.
Maybe also 'nautilus', but I'm not sure and can't check it now.

> I realize my question may be an eye-roller for some people, but
>
> "as I learnt to read years ago,"
>
> is the type of answer that makes non-Linux users think that we're a bunch
> of elitist snob.

Bad answer, certainly.

> Thanks anyway

Hope this options serve your purpose.