Re: Thunderbird / enigmail

Greg Marks wrote on 10/13/20 9:37 AM:
>> So I'd like to know if anyone who uses encrypted e-mail has taken
>> the plunge and installed the newer version of Thunderbird that the
>> official buster repository is offering (and also, therefore, removed
>> enigmail); and, if so, have there been any issues with using encrypted
>> e-mail following the update.
>
> I had no problems transitioning from Enigmail to Thunderbird 78.3.1,
> which has removed Enigmail.  With an existing GPG installation, it
> was necessary to run the command "gpg --export-secret-keys --armor >
> private_key.asc" for importation into Thunderbird.  Then in Thunderbird,
> clicking the main account header in the side panel brings up a link
> "End-to-end encryption."  This brings up "Account Settings," toward the
> bottom of which is an "End-To-End Encryption" header.  From here one can
> enable OpenPGP by importing the "private_key.asc" file created earlier.
> (Afterwards "private_key.asc" should be securely deleted, e.g. with srm.)
> Once this is complete, when composing an e-mail in the new Thunderbird,
> there is a "Security" tab near the top permitting one to encrypt or
> digitally sign the message.  It all seems to work fine.

Thank you for that encouraging information.

I'll give it a day or two to see if anyone says that they had problems with
the transition, and, if not, will give it a shot, hoping and expecting that it
will be as smooth as your experience.

[The experience a couple of years ago when debian stable for a while wouldn't
permit encrypted e-mail from Thunderbird has probably made me over-cautious on
this subject.]

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans