Thunderbird / enigmail

I see that the latest official updates to debian stable want to remove
enigmail and install a new version of Thunderbird.

I recall a couple of years ago the same thing happened, and encrypted e-mail
was effectively broken for a couple of months until a version of enigmail
compatible with the updated Thunderbird became available from the official
repository. But I seem to recall reading somewhere a while back that the
enigmail functionality was going to be incorporated into Thunderbird upstream.
So I am wondering if perhaps this has happened and that that is what the
intended removal of enigmail signifies: i.e., that encrypted e-mail is part of
the newer Thunderbird that is now in the official repository.

So I'd like to know if anyone who uses encrypted e-mail has taken the plunge
and installed the newer version of Thunderbird that the official buster
repository is offering (and also, therefore, removed enigmail); and, if so,
have there been any issues with using encrypted e-mail following the update.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans