gutenprint is a no op here, why?

Greetings folks;

Stretch, uptodate. amd64

I have installed all of the gutenprint packages.

I have a Brother MFC-J6920DW printer, with the Brother drivers installed.
Works moderately well but pastel from gimp. gimp->file has a print with
gutenprint option, but while I can supply it with the profile cups uses,
which has a tray selector, the gutenprint version of this tool does not,
it has no tray selection, and it doesn't work, doesn't even send enough
data to wake up the printers display.

What might I be missing yet? Trolling thru the cups access_log, it
appears to be creating a pdf, but it cannot be found in the likely
places.  Why would it do this when I have given it the printers ppd?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis