Re: Question: SSD speed

Hans wrote:

>I have a little question. Smartctl is telling me, that my ssd drive is 6Gb/sec
>capable, but the actual speed is only 1,5GB/sec.
>
>The notebook is a little bit older, AMD CPU with 2x2,4 GHz, 4GB RAM, debian/
>testing.
>
>My question is now: How is the speed of the ssd set? Is it set by the hardware
>or is it set during loading the kernel module?
>
>And is there a possibility to set the speed to 6Gb/sec , i.e. by setting some
>parameters or by loading the kernel modules with additional tags?
>
>I searched the web, but found no other information than "use trimming" (which
>does the kernel during installation automatically, and this system is
>correctly trimmed).
>
>It would be nice, if someone knows more. Strangely, my netbook got 3Gb/sec, my
>Notebook only 1,5 Gb/sec, so I have the idea, it might be a configuration
>thing.

You're seeing the different transport speeds of different SATA
versions. SATA 1 does up to 1.5Gb/sec, SATA 2 does up to 3 GB/sec,
SATA 3 -> 6 GB/sec. The drive will be reporting that it's capable of
SATA 3 (hence the 6GB/sec number), but it will fall back to older
modes as needed for compatibility with the controllers in your
computers.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane