Re: Question: SSD speed

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020, at 09:39, Hans wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a little question. Smartctl is telling me, that my ssd drive is 6Gb/sec
> capable, but the actual speed is only 1,5GB/sec.

If your SATA (presumably) connection from the machine to the SSD is a
6 Gbps one, the maximum data transfer speed in bytes across that
connection would be one eighth of that (as there's 8 bits per byte), so
about 760 MBps.

That's about half of your "1,5GBps".  That makes me wonder if your
SSD uses two SATA channels at once - is that even possible?

Alternatively, do any SSDs compress data before sending it across the
SATA channel?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.