Question: SSD speed

Hi folks,

I have a little question. Smartctl is telling me, that my ssd drive is 6Gb/sec
capable, but the actual speed is only 1,5GB/sec.

The notebook is a little bit older, AMD CPU with 2x2,4 GHz, 4GB RAM, debian/
testing.

My question is now: How is the speed of the ssd set? Is it set by the hardware
or is it set during loading the kernel module?

And is there a possibility to set the speed to 6Gb/sec , i.e. by setting some
parameters or by loading the kernel modules with additional tags?

I searched the web, but found no other information than "use trimming" (which
does the kernel during installation automatically, and this system is
correctly trimmed).

It would be nice, if someone knows more. Strangely, my netbook got 3Gb/sec, my
Notebook only 1,5 Gb/sec, so I have the idea, it might be a configuration
thing.

Thanks for any help!

Best regards

Hans