Re: Debian 10 auto upgraded to Kali rolling

Hello,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 05:14:38AM +0530, Saurabh Kannaujia wrote:
> I run 'apt upgrade' and it
> changed to Kali linux rolling. I don't know why this happend

This could only have happened by putting Kali's repositories into
/etc/apt/sources.list or in a file under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
and then doing an "apt update" or equivalent, before you did "apt
upgrade".

> I want to comeback to Debian. Is there any way to comeback or do I
> have to reinstall again(ugh!).

No, you have changed to a completely different Linux distribution
and there is no supported way to go back without reinstall.

You could possibly, MAYBE, just put in the repositories for Debian
unstable and HOPE that the package versions of everything are high
enough that a dist-upgrade gets you back to Debian, but:

1. It probably wont get you back to Debian but some Frankendebian
   that still has traces of Kali in it. It's not a supported
   operation.

2. The chances of doing this without breaking the whole system are
   slim, and then you end up reinstalling anyway after spending many
   hours.

3. You'd still end up on debian unstable (sid), not Debian stable
   (buster).

Also, I am not sure that Kali Linux supports being installed as an
upgrade from Debian stable. If not then what you have now is very
likely already some sort of Frankendebian because it'll still have
some Debian packages on it. As Kali is a derivative of Debian this
might not be disastrous though. It's still not ideal even if you did
want Kali.

Basically this was a very bad thing to do. Sorry. Reinstall from
backups is my advice.

Cheers,
Andy