Re: Fingerprint recognition (on power button)

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/enable-fingerprint-scanner-support-on-linux/

Renato Gallo

----- Original Message -----
From: rhkramer@gmail.com
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 4:00:47 PM
Subject: Fingerprint recognition (on power button)

I am thinking about buying a:

 KUU-K2 14.1" IPS Screen All Metal Shell Champagne Gold Office Notebook Intel
Celeron Processor J4115 8GB DDR4 RAM 256GB SSD Windows 10 Laptop Computer with
Fingerprint Unlock Backlit Keyboard

https://www.newegg.com/champagne-gold-kuu-k2-
workstation/p/1TS-00BK-00024?Item=9SIANGPBUS2481

(Currently on sale for $306 with free shipping.)

The one potential problem that I see is that it (optionally?) allows locking
based on your fingerprint on, iiuc, the power button.

Does anybody (here) use or know much about fingerprint recognition? I'd prefer
not to enable that if it is an option or not supported in Debian -- it just
strikes me as another potential point of failure that I don't need.

Asides (that you don't need to read):

It meets most of my criteria (at least 8 GB RAM (I'd prefer more, I'll look
into expandability), reasonably fast (2.5GHz. 4 Cores and 4 Threads), sufficient
size hard / ssd drive (128 GB would be sufficient), and type C USB port to plug
into a docking station that I already have.

(I'd prefer AMD as a processor, but ...)

(Aside: my intent would be to keep Windows 10 for the one application that I
use every 4 to 5 years (updating the map(s) in my Garmin GPS unit (even though
I know I can install a "free software" map instead). but basically to install
Buster to do some development that requires C++17, and, incidentally (if I am
successful with that development) possibly take the laptop to make
presentations at various sites.)