Re: Buster with MATE without systemd

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:52:15 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:32:14AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > To make a long story short, after two or so weeks of research and
> > numerous failed trials, I came to the conclusion that systemd has
> > become too entrenched in the dependency tree of Buster to successfully
> > convert to systvinit.
>
> If you specify "... on a desktop system", then maybe you're correct.
>
> For most servers, it shouldn't be an issue.

The subject _was_ about desktops, MATE specifically, not servers.

However, my trials with Buster was from a year ago.  And I haven't
tried a sysvinit install with it since. Perhaps some systemd
dependencies have been eliminated.  Be great if they all were! Init
systems should never ever be dependencies.