Re: Installing/launching MATE in a command line environment

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020, 8:27 AM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:50:05PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Would sysctl set-default text.target display the dm on startup?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd#Targets

There isn't a "text.target" as far as I'm aware.  multi-user.target
will skip the DM if one is installed.  graphical.target is the
default in Debian, and runs the DM if one is installed, or skips it
if none is installed.

+1

I use "systemctl set-default multi-user.target" on all my systems (with SystemD), and then issue "systemctl start graphical.target" when I am satisfied. (I prefer to do the "apt-get dance" in Text Mode).

Kenneth Parker