Re: Two questions about LUKS in a file container

Am Samstag, 12. September 2020, 18:10:48 CEST schrieb rhkramer@gmail.com:
Hi,
> I'm thinking about putting my backup encrypted files in a LUKS filesystem
> within a file instead of on a dedicated partition (for a few reasons).
>
> I have two questions about that:
>
>    * if I don't have that LUKS filesystem "mounted" and open and I write to
> it, I assume (or hope) that nothing will get written and I will get a
> warning or error message of some sort?

As far as I know, it is not possible, to mount an encrypted partition at all.

>    * doesn't exactly apply to this situation, but, on the other hand, if my
> "source" / original / non-backup LUKS system is in a file instead of on a
> dedicated partition, and I use commands (like rsync or such) to copy the
> unencrypted files not on the LUKS system, but I use options like the ones to
> stay on the current filesystem (--one-file-system), I assume (or hope) that
> the stuff in the encrypted partition will not get copied?

Hmm, not quite sure, what you asked, but as far as I know, rsync does not
care, if the files or filesystems are encrypted or not. It just copies the
stuff to the target byte by byte. If there is something overwritten or not
readable / writable depends of your normal access rights.

Or am I wrong???

Best regards

Hans