Re: query about kernel, download options, sessions

On 2020-09-08 03:45, nenu crok wrote:
hello debian users,

Hello.  :-)

after bit of research, i have decided to install debian. it is rock solid.

i have few queries. please be simple. english is not my native language.

i assumed kernel is most important for system security. do we have tweaked kernel packages. i dont mind a little of sluggishness or loss of performance.

Understand that Debian "stable" implies older kernels and software, which can be a double-edged sword with respect to "security".

i am privacy freak, hence not using android.

I have not heard of privacy problems with the base Debian installation.

But, it is possible to have your privacy compromised on any platform by installing privacy-violating software, plug-in's, etc., and/or by using privacy-violating Internet services.

however, after seeing size of libreoffice, is there any way an option to download only small portion. i have overheard aboout similar option in our os debian. this is must, only metered ethernet or wifi connections in my area. i am specifically interested about disadvantages compared to full package or normal update or upgrade.

Consider purchasing a set of installation discs or an installation USB flash drive.

Study your package installation tool to see how you can control what packages get downloaded and why. With sufficient effort, you should be able to limit downloads to only security patches. (This could be as simple as only including security.debian.org in /etc/apt/sources.list).

to me email is important. i have decided to contribute bit similar to seti.

By "seti', do you mean:

    https://seti.org/

I do not understand how mail and SETI are related (?).  Please clarify.

can i run mail in two terminals.

You should only run two instances of any program if that program is designed for concurrent operation. Otherwise, the two instances could both write to the same file, losing or corrupting data.

i have read somewhere using ctrl alt f2 option to start new session. is word session correct ? by jumping using above option will log out from existing session.

That sounds like the Linux "virtual terminals" feature:

    https://www.linux.org/threads/virtual-terminals.4135/

Switching between virtual terminals does not log you out.

Most graphical environments support a "terminal" application and the ability to run multiple programs inside windows on your screen. One advantage over virtual terminals is that you can see multiple windows at the same time, and can copy-and-paste information between them.

David