Re: Can't log in after Stretch to Buster upgrade

On Wed Sep  2 21:32:55 2020 Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:13:30AM -0700, cgibbs@surfnaked.ca wrote:
>
>> The Buster upgrade seemed to work OK.  I re-booted and got to my
>> xfce login screen.  But when I entered my user ID and password,
>> the screen blanked for a second or so, then came back to a blank
>> login screen.
>
> Use ctrl-alt-F3 to switch to a virtual console and attempt to log in
> there, then examine your logs to see if there are any hints as to
> anything that has failed to start?
>
> I am not an xfce user so hopefully one of them will be along shortly
> to tell you which log files to look in for likely answers, but you
> could start with /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Thanks - I forgot the ctl-alt-Fn trick. That makes it much easier to look
at the logs than booting a CD into rescue mode.  There's also some
sort of problem with openssh-server which I can't resolve by removing
and re-installing, but I'd just as soon leave that one until I get xfce logins working. Yes, my makefiles can still compile the programs I'm working on,
but I can't bring up VirtualBox to build the Windows versions.

I'll continue puttering for a few more days - maybe others will have
some ideas.  But if I don't get it working by next week, I'm going to
wipe my root partition and install Buster from scratch.  The time I'll
spend re-installing the packages I use will have been well exceeded
by the time I've been spending trying to fix my current broken system.

--
cgibbs@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)