Re: sed:awk:perl::rock:paper:chainsaw [was Re: Using .XCompose]

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 18 iul 20, 09:59:46, davidson wrote:
>>=20
>> But first of all, I should reiterate that I lack expertise.
>>=20
>> I lack expertise.
>>=20
>> Second, I have no useful knowledge about real programming languages
>> (such as perl) to declare.
>
> Same disclaimers apply to me.
>=20
>> But as a peer, albeit a thick one who is not a perl-knowing brain
>> wizard, this is my experience:
>
> In my experience you will encounter sed (more often than awk) in shell=20
> scripts, either because some things are difficult or even impossible to=20
> do in pure shell script, or just because the author didn't know any=20
> better.
>
> Learning perl could be useful if you *also* need a real programing=20
> language in which case you might as well consider python (should be=20
> easier to learn).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

  except if you look at python3 pattern matching
stuff and throw up in disgust.

  i saw something recently that might make me
revisit the topic in python, but until that
actually gets implemented i will not be talking
much about python and pattern matching.

  i do use sed and awk and other unix standard
tools.  perl has not been needed for anything i've
done but if someone makes a useful tool and it is
done in perl i won't complain as long as it works
and does what the man page says it should do.

  songbird