Re: sed:awk:perl::rock:paper:chainsaw [was Re: Using .XCompose]

On Sb, 18 iul 20, 09:59:46, davidson wrote:

> But first of all, I should reiterate that I lack expertise.
>
> I lack expertise.
>
> Second, I have no useful knowledge about real programming languages
> (such as perl) to declare.

Same disclaimers apply to me.

> But as a peer, albeit a thick one who is not a perl-knowing brain
> wizard, this is my experience:

In my experience you will encounter sed (more often than awk) in shell
scripts, either because some things are difficult or even impossible to
do in pure shell script, or just because the author didn't know any
better.

Learning perl could be useful if you *also* need a real programing
language in which case you might as well consider python (should be
easier to learn).

Kind regards,
Andrei