Re: Firefox non-ESR update needed

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 09:45:56AM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> I did install it and it is a single package. It runs fine in parallel with
> the esr release. Hopefully the maintainers will continue the practice of
> having firefox and firefox_esr available and bring it to Testing.

You don't understand what testing *IS*!

Testing is not a "rolling release".

Testing is not a thing you use because it makes you cooler.

Testing is not a thing you use because it has higher version numbers of
packages, and the sum of all the package version numbers is your score,
and having a higher score makes you win the game.

Testing is not a thing you use because you're an immature child who thinks
any package more than a year old is, like, TOO OLD TO BE USED BY ANYONE,
like ohmygod.

Testing is the NEXT STABLE RELEASE.

Testing is what will become Debian 11, bullseye, in a year or two.

When bullseye is stable, it will not have an unstable firefox package.

When bullseye is stable, it will have firefox-esr, which is a stable
package (or as close as you can get with a browser), because it is a
stable release.

Therefore, testing has firefox-esr.

You run testing because you want to help TEST THE NEXT STABLE RELEASE,
so that you can find bugs in it and report them, and get them fixed
before the release.

Because they sure as hell will not be fixed AFTER the release.  This is
your one and only chance.

If you are the kind of person who MUST HAVE THE LATEST THING, then
Debian is not meant for you.

This includes browsers.