Re: HP z820 workstation Soundcard?

On Lu, 06 iul 20, 15:52:32, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> running a HP z820 workstation, Buster Mate.
> onboard sound does not cut it.
>
> I need more volume, and 5.1 stereo would be great
>
> I have a couple free PCIe slots
>
> What sage advice can I get here?
>
> Internal vs USB
> Brand?
> budget is modest, I tell myself under $100

To get useful recommendations you might want to say more about the audio
sources (including file types, quality, etc.) the rest of your audio
setup (especially connection options), expectations in sound quality,
etc.

E.g. an external device has less interference from the rest of the
computer. This will hardly matter if your audio setup can't reproduce
that or you can't tell the difference (I probably can't).

In any case, a device with a hardware mixer allows more flexibility in
playing audio from several sources without relying on pulseaudio or
ALSA's dmix.

Kind regards,
Andrei