Remove undesired entries in MATE "Applications" sub-menus

I'm using Debian10 with the MATE desktop.
The Debian installer defaults to installing a mess of applications I rarely want. They end up with entries on MATE's Applications sub-menus.

Without deleting the offending applications from the system, how can I delete those menu entries and replace them with links to suitable applications.

Web search had lousy signal to noise ratio ;<

TIA