Re: Duplex tumble options missing since CUPS upgrade

"Gareth Evans" <donotspam@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hello,
>
> The duplex tumble option seems to have disappeared for me when
> printing, I think since a recent CUPS upgrade on Debian 10.4
>
> No matter whether I use driverless or Brother drivers with MFC-L2740DW
> the only options are "short edge"/"long edge" or
> "portrait"/"landscape" respectively, but alternate pages are always
> upside down, which seems to suggest tumble is permanently on, but
> there is no longer a way to turn it off in the printer properties UI.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?  I can't find a recent bug report,
> though there seem to be similar issues historically and on other
> distros.  Is there a config option to bring it back?
>
> I would be grateful for any thoughts/advice.

I have a Brother MFC-L2710DW, which I assume is similar to your
hardware.  I've never noticed the term "tumble" in the printer options
before, but I do have the "2-sided Printing" configuration, with a
choice between Off/On (Portrait)/On (Landscape).  I use On (Portrait)
and it gets me book-style duplexing; I've only printed actual
portrait-oriented pages.  I had assumed it used these as aliases for
"Flip on Long Edge" (Portrait) and "Flip on Short Edge" (Landscape), and
things would be the right way around as long as your actual documents
were in the appropriate orientation.

Are your pages portrait? And are you using the "On (Portrait)" duplex
setting?

I'm on up-to-date buster as well.

--
regards,