Re: Question for users of Thunderbird on buster

On 2020-06-11 at 03:27, Virgo Pärna wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 14:10:45 -0600, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example:
>>   if I type the "-" character twice in a row, Thunderbird displays only one,
>> even though both characters are present in the text
>>   if I type the "<" character twice in a row, Thunderbird converts the two
>> "less than" characters into a single "much less than" character when it
>> displays them, even though the text actually contains the two "<" characters
>>

> 	What happens, if you change the default composition font. Sounds
> like those are rendered as ligatures. I'm using Windows, but when I set
> monospace font to Cascadia code, I started getting similar issues.

I don't recall having ever seen it in Thunderbird, but every so often
(maybe once or twice a year max), I start to see Firefox render
consecutive letter pairs that have matching ligatures as those
ligatures. I'm not sure if it's "every possible ligature-matching pair",
or only ligature pairs starting with "f", but I know the latter do seem
to be included.

Invariably, restarting the browser fixes it.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I think it's got something to do with
upgrading an underlying font package while Firefox is already running.

Not sure if that helps here at all, but it does seem at least
tangentially related.

--
   The Wanderer