Re: KDE run Dolphin as root?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 11:05:32PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 15 iun 20, 12:47:59, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> >
> > I assume that with respect to the original message that it should be obvious
> > that the root user problem stems from the underlying Debian OS. Someone in
> > the Debian hierarchy decided that root Dolphin was too much of a security
> > risk. So the problem has propagated to at least a half dozen other distros
> > (Ubuntu,Kubuntu, Mint) to name a couple.
>
> Do you have any source for this claim?
>
> Debian tends to do little if any customization to such big software
> packages like KDE (there simply aren't enough resources for it), with
> the obvious exception of integrating it with the rest of the system.

No, no. The secret Debian Hierarchy is out to get us! Run!

;-)

Now more seriously, Gary: I think the default policy to disable root
for such huge GUI programs is sensible: there is no way in hell one
could make them secure.

As a default, it seems to make sense.

OTOH it is *your* computer, so there should be a way to override that
default behaviour. And it seems there is. All is well?

Software shouldn't *force* you to do something.

Cheers
-- t