Re: [OT] Regular DKIM issues on this ML (was: Re: why !oh why Debian and application list)

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 02:08:14PM +0200, l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> 13 juin 2020 à 09:52 de andy@strugglers.net:
> > Looking at the email concerned, it had a line starting with "From"
> > quoted with a ">".
> >
> Indeed! I hope it's not a mistake of mine (usually I proofread my emails before sending them but who knows...).

It was almost certainly done by Debian's mailing list software.

> Why would they do that? ">" is rather usually indicated to insert quotations isn't it?

The mbox mail archive format is a single file containing all
messages concatenated together. Separate messages are recognised by
a line that starts:

>From you@example.com ...

As you can imagine if a message body contained such text it might
prematurely end the emails and then the next email would be of an
invalid format.

As a result a lot of (mostly older) mail software escapes mail body
lines that begin with "From" by putting a ">" in front, sometimes
even when not in the context of archiving into an mbox. This is most
likely what happened here. The use of ">" for this is just a very
common convention.

Cheers,
Andy