Re: trouble installing gnome

On 6/6/20 09:14, leonard morin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope all are well. I recently dual-installed debian from a live image
> on a usb along with Windows on a new computer. My friend gave me some
> guidance, but he is very busy so I don't want to bother him now.
>
> When I first installed, my wifi didn't work on Debian, so I couldn't
> download Gnome. As you can see below, my friend gave me a fix to connect
> to wifi, but it didn't work. Nor is it possible to download/install
> Gnome, as you can see from the error messages below. Can anyone explain
> to me how to fix this? By the way, I'm hard-wired now. Thanks!
>
> # apt-get install task-gnome-desktop
> E: Type 'Line' is not known on line 7 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> E: Type 'Line' is not known on line 7 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> # apt-get update
> E: Type 'Line' is not known on line 7 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> # apt-get upgrade
> E: Type 'Line' is not known on line 7 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> E: Type 'Line' is not known on line 7 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.

At a guess, I would say these error messages occurred because
/etc/apt/sources.list is (functionally) empty - all the lines are
commented out.

I would add

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Bullseye_ - Official Snapshot
> amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20200525-03:32]/ bullseye main contrib non-free
>
> #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Bullseye_ - Official Snapshot
> amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20200525-03:32]/ bullseye main contrib non-free
>
>  Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

Uncomment this line
> #deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main
> contrib non-free

>  Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

And this one
> #deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security
> main contrib non-free

(You could remove or omit the non-free and/or contrib if you don't
really need packages from those repositories).

Regards
Tom Dial