Buster install using debootstrap.

I have just installed Buster on a spare set of partitions using debootstrap, as documented in:

    Appendix D.3 of the Installation Guide.

When I got to configuring networking, I just copied /etc/networking/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, and /etc/resolv.conf from my Stretch partitions/directories to the Buster partitions/directories.

I also copied /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/fstab from Stretch to Buster, editing them as needed.

I have chrooted into Buster and everything looks good.  I can run 'apt show' and 'dpkg -l' (I like the way the new dpkg lets you scroll through the list instead of just running to the end.)  What I can not do is 'apt update'.  When I try that, I get the following output:

# apt update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease [65.4 kB]
Err:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.UOJmdX for passing config to apt-key Get:2 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster InRelease [7736 B]
Err:2 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.9n943a for passing config to apt-key
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease [121 kB]
Err:4 http://http.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.1btx9y for passing config to apt-key Get:3 http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease [46.7 kB]
Err:3 http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.G6FHYS for passing config to apt-key
Get:5 http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease [19.5 kB]
Err:5 http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.Iqzykk for passing config to apt-key
Get:6 http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster-backports InRelease [10.4 kB]
Err:6 http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster-backports InRelease
  Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.Sb90kl for passing config to apt-key
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.UOJmdX for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.9n943a for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.1btx9y for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://http.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. W: GPG error: http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.G6FHYS for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://http.debian.net/debian buster-backports InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. W: GPG error: http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.Iqzykk for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. W: GPG error: http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster-backports InRelease: Couldn't create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.Sb90kl for passing config to apt-key E: The repository 'http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster-backports InRelease' is not signed. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I read the manpage for apt-secure and I am assuming that I am missing the GPG keys, but I did not see anything about this in the Installation Guide.  I'm sure that I missed something, somewhere, but I don't know what.

I also don't understand why it says that it could not create temporary files in /tmp.  I am running this as root and /tmp is owned by root.  What am I missing?

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Marc