Re: exim4 stopped delivering local mail after upgrade (sid)

* m s <mariesbills@gmail.com> [2020-06-02 15:28 -0400]:

> I'm running sid and after upgrading packages today, exim stopped
> working. It's keeping all my local mail in /var/spool/exim4/msglog and
> not delivering it, and even when I type "runq" it won't deliver the
> mail.
>
> # exim4 -qff -v
> LOG: MAIN
>   Warning: No server certificate defined; will use a selfsigned one.
>  Suggested action: either install a certificate or change
> tls_advertise_hosts option
> LOG: queue_run MAIN
>   Start queue run: pid=10734 -qff
> delivering 1jgC7c-00028M-Af (queue run pid 10734)
> R: system_aliases for marie@localhost
> R: userforward for marie@localhost
> R: procmail for marie@localhost
> R: maildrop for marie@localhost
> R: lowuid_aliases for marie@localhost (UID 1000)
> R: local_user for marie@localhost
> T: appendfile for marie@localhost
> LOG: MAIN
>   == marie@localhost R=local_user T=mail_spool defer (-6): mailbox
> /var/mail/ has wrong uid (0 != 1000)
> LOG: queue_run MAIN
>   End queue run: pid=10734 -qff
>

> # dpkg -l |grep exim
> ii  exim4                                 4.92.3-1
>         all          metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
> ii  exim4-base                            4.92.3-1
>         amd64        support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
> ii  exim4-config                          4.94-1
>         all          configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
> ii  exim4-daemon-light                    4.92.3-1
>         amd64        lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon

First you have to run an update to get a consistent version 4.94-1.

After that you'll find /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/NEWS.Debian.gz with
a proposed instruction to handle $local_user interactions.

Elimar
--
  "Talking much about oneself can also
   be a means to conceal oneself."