Re: Something is buggy - was [Re: Debian man pages have annoying feature(sic)]

Hi,

2 juin 2020 à 15:05 de rowlett@cloud85.net:

> On 06/01/2020 05:02 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> I am running Debian 9.8 with MATE desktop
>
> Synaptic reports:
>
>> Commit Log for Mon Jun  1 16:45:47 2020
>> Installed the following packages:
>> curl (7.52.1-5+deb9u9)
>> dctrl-tools (2.24-2+b1)
>> debian-goodies (0.69.1)
>> libcurl3 (7.52.1-5+deb9u9)
>>

> Copy and paste this morning from MATE terminal
>
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ dman gforth
>> bash: dman: command not found
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman gforth
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>> -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>> -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>> from there
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman -p gforth
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>> -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>> -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>> from there
>> richard@defaultinstall:~$ debman -f gforth.deb
>> Usage: debman [options] [-- man(1) options] <man page name> ...
>>
>> Options should be exactly one of:
>> -f package.deb          read pages from package.deb archive
>> -p package              download .deb for package and read pages
>> from there
>>
> richard@defaultinstall:~$
> I have verified that both
> https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/gforth/gforth.1.en.html
> and
> https://manpages.debian.org/buster/gforth/gforth.1.en.html

Surely you did that but you haven't read previous answers on this mailing-list though otherwise you would not have said it is "buggy"...

Regarding dman it seems normal since your debian-goodies version is really old (0.69.1).
Indeed, dman seems to have been included from debian-goodies v0.70:

debian-goodies (0.70) experimental; urgency=low

  [ Antoine Beaupré ]
  * Add dman script from Ubuntu, modified to fetch pages directly from
    manpages.debian.org, see https://github.com/Debian/debiman/issues/57
    (Closes: #860920)

  [ Axel Beckert ]
  * Fix missing close statement in checkrestart. (c.f. #855554)
    Thanks Emilio Pozuelo Monfort!
  * Suggest lsb-release for new dman command.

-- Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>  Sat, 22 Apr 2017 01:22:31 +0200

Best regards,
l0f4r0