Re: Dual Prolific PL2303 Serial Port USB devices have iSerial of 0?

Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 17 May 2020 11:56:51 John Conover wrote:
>
>> I have two Prolific PL2303 devices on a machine. The output of lsusb
>> is identical for both, including iSerial of 0, for both.
>>
>> Is there any way of doing udev SYMLINK+ with these devices?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     John
>TBT John, the best place for them is a drawer, to be used only long
>enough to obtain FDTI devices for regular use. They goto sleep, (or
>something) and you have to knock several times to re-awaken them, losing
>data in the process. Strange disconnects will plague your system. BTDT,
>used foul language, they slept right thru my tantrums.  FDTI stuff just
>works.

Nod. I used to use a lot of the pl2303 adapters, as they were cheap -
a couple of dollars each in quantity. But they were *so* unreliable
that I abandoned them. FTDI cost more, but are massively more reliable
in my experience. This is definitely a case of "you get what you pay
for".

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.