Re: How could you load only once a Linux ultility without a batch --input-files kind of option and repeatedly use it on many files? . . .

On Thu, 21 May 2020, David Christensen wrote:

On 2020-05-21 08:52, davidson wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2020, Albretch Mueller wrote:

The thing is that I have to call, say sha256sum, on millions of files

Probably debian admin people dealing with packaging have to deal with
the same kinds of issues.

For checksums, mtree(8) from package mtree-netbsd might be worth a look.

Been there, done that; I do not recommend it:

The thread you refer to reports problems with the mtree-à-la-FreeBSD
("fmtree(8)" [1]) in debian package freebsd-buildutils.

mtree-netbsd is a different debian package, providing
mtree-à-la-NetBSD ("mtree(8)" [2]). It does not seem to suffer from
the deficiency you encountered with fmtree.

1. https://manpages.debian.org/buster/freebsd-buildutils/fmtree.8.en.html
2. https://manpages.debian.org/buster/mtree-netbsd/mtree.8.en.html

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the U.S. state of Illinois,