Re: vlc and access modules

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 02:47:55AM -0400, moelmoel2714 wrote:

[...]

No idea who or what Q4OS is (and not sure I want to know).

> Q4OS puts everything in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/; always makes me a
> tad nervous. anyway, one of the files there, '20_debian.list' has
> non-free on all the active lines.

The Debian "non-free" repo isn't bad per se. It's just a heads-up
"those packages don't match our Debian Free Software Guidelines,
so check for yourself whether theey match yours". You might find
the Emacs documentation there (because the GNU free documentation
license collides with DFSG), but also straight closed-source vendor
drivers.

> will quote it for good measure (some line wrapping):
>
> # Q4OS essential repository
> # **** !!! NEVER touch this CRITICAL system file **** !!!

...actually, such a comment would challenge me to do the
opposite, or perhaps to get whatever put that into my box
kicked out :-)

Follow the relevant lines:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free

This looks rather harmless -- unless you want to avoid non-free.
The rest is prefixed with #, i.e. commented out.

Cheers
-- t