vlc and access modules

Greets!

not sure how I got into this bind but I seem to have lost the 'access modules' that allow vlc to view video files (and likely do many other things; I know I cannot convert video).

when I try to look at an mp4, I get

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL
'file:///home/davisf/dwhelper/video.mp4'. Check the log for details.

I don't know where the log is. I have noticed that there are very few 'access modules' available, whereas there are a bunch in vlc on another machine. I am guessing that's the problem; maybe wrong diagnosis.

I have tried purging vlc and reinstalling without effect - I generally use apt and apt-get. I looked at a bunch of vlc stuff in synaptic and installed some things I might use, some plugins, but to no effect on the present problem.

I have not restarted the session or the computer.

this is Debian Buster using 4qos-trinity, a variant of Trinity-Desktop, a variant of KDE derived from KDE3.

vlc is installed from deb-multimedia. it's 3.0.10 Vetinari.

thoughts?

f.

--
Felmon Davis