Re: Smallest Usable EFI Partition?

On Wed 13 May 2020 at 11:24:54 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2020 00:37:52 +0200 Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:
> > Il 13/05/20 00:21, Patrick Bartek ha scritto:
> >
> > > I can't find anything definitive on this question.  Some say, 100MB is
> > > fine; others 215 or 550 is a safe choice.  It all seems to be just
> > > opinions.

How could it be otherwise—nobody else knows how many different OSes
etc you're going to install on the machine.

Similarly, nobody call tell you the right size for your root
filesystem—I'm generous with mine because I have had anywhere
between 5GB and 20GB in /var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/.

> > I had the same doubts about a year ago and went with the recommendation
> > of a larger partition, about 500MB... of which only 6% is used.
>
> The 500MB recommendation is to assure FAT32 is used when formatting or
> so I've read.

I don't see why that is any guarantee against, say, a FAT16 filesystem
of any size up to 2GB.

> If you have a very large disk, 500MB is insignificant, but if I can use
> less like 100MB or 50MB on a basic one OS/one kernel system with only a
> 32GB eMMC that's a lot space not wasted.
>
> > My office laptop with Windows10 has something in the region of 100MB but
> > it is not dualboot.
> >
> > Debian uses about 6MB, MS about 26MB, plus a couple of megs for boot.
> > If space is really tight you might want to stick with 100MB in total.

I'd broadly agree with those figures as long as by "boot" you mean
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT. I get:

3.9M    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
5.1M    /boot/efi/EFI/debian

on a Debian-only PC and:

29M     /swan/swan02/

on a Windows10-EFI laptop.

/boot itself is another matter. Thanks to the recent point release,
/boot on the Debian-only PC currently stands at 126MB. But that's
obviously no problem if you're not separating it.

Cheers,
David.