Re: Question on Unattended Upgrades

On Tuesday 12 May 2020 10:30:04 Celejar wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 2020 06:03:52 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 May 2020 05:07:04 l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 12 mai 2020 à 08:22 de keifer.bly@gmail.com:
> > >
> > > I think 'Unattended-Upgrade::Automatic-Reboot "true";' should do
> > > it in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades. If I were you, I
> > > would check /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades as well because
> > > those are the 2 most important configuration files for
> > > unattended-upgrades.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > l0f4r0
> >
> > I can see a major disaster in the making, what if that reboot was
> > commanded in the middle of your nightly backup run, leaving your
> > backup program with a totally bogus database it cannot recover from?
>
> That would be unfortunate - but surely a serious backup program would
> be designed to be robust enough that ending up "with a totally bogus
> database it cannot recover from" should never happen? What if you
> have some sort of system crash during a backup? Do you have a specific
> backup system in mind?

You are trying to justify an automatic reboot, very bad idea. Granted,
most such would be ok, and will leave a requester popup to advise the
admin, doing its normal routine in the meantime.

I happen to use amanda to backup 5 machines here, but any backup suite
that maintains a recovery database is going to be in deep doodoo if it
gets rebooted in the middle of a backup.  I probably do better than most
but a worst case scenario here if everything in place works, would only
lose me that days data because I do keep separate copies of that data.
But 60 days of that is 33GB, the biggest single entry in my nearly 70
items long list.

> > Frankly the update shouldn't be allowed if your backup is actually
> > running.  So it might be safer to schedule the update and reboot if
> > needed before the backup starts.  That means one cron driven script
> > does it all in the sequence desired.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis