Re: Suggestion on hardware issue?

Le 12/05/2020 à 03:37, David Christensen a écrit :
On 2020-05-11 10:28, Yvan Masson wrote:
Hi,

I installed Debian 10 on a Acer AspireOne (32 bits processor, 1GB RAM).
Installation failed two times with corrupted packages, each time on same package (tcllib). I finally manage to re-download and install it by hand in another TTY so that the installer could finish. However, after the reboot, it could not start sddm (segfaults).

I tested RAM by running memtest86+ on this computer (3 passes, 4 hours), no issue. I ran debsums to check files integrity, and it returned many errors (written here by hand, so there might be typos):

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/8/cc1
/usr/lib/firefox-esr/libxul.so
/usr/lib/firefox-esr/omni.ja
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/nouveau_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/r300_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/r600_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/virtio_gpu_dri.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/vmwgfx_dri.so
/usr/share/doc/libgstreamer1.0-0/changelog.gz
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgucharmap_2_90.so.7.0.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicudata.so.63.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libLLVM-7.so.1
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQt5WebKit.so.5.212.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libre2.so.5.0.0
/usr/share/libreoffice/share/config/images_helpimg.zip
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libmergedlo.so
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libpcrlo.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-i386/lib/modules
/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-i386/lib/server/libjvm.so
/usr/share/thunderbird/omni.ja
[ ] EXT4-fs error (device sda-1): ext4_lookup:1591: inode #1222922: comm debsums: iget: checksum invalid
[ ] Aborting journal on device sda1-8.
[ ] EXT4-fs (sda1): Remounting filesystem read-only

I have then thought that it could be the hard drive, so I replaced it with a spare one: install failed again, but when configuring a different package.

Is the motherboard or processor faulty, or is there any hope for a simple solution to save this computer?

Regards,
Yvan

Was the memory in your computer installed by Acer?
I believe so.

Have you removed or inserted any memory modules?
Not before the issue arose.

Do you use static safe tools and work practices?
In this case I only used my hands, and touched grounded metal before.

What is the model/ part number of your computer?
I can not tell now as I won't have access to the computer before two days.

How many memory slots does the computer have?
1

For each slot, what is the manufacturer name and and model/ part number of the installed memory module?
Can not tell right now.

Run Memtest86+ for 24+ hours with the computer in the same location and under the same environmental conditions as the failed installations.  I have seen  computers pass Memtest86+ for the first 12 hours, then give a few failures in the next 12 hours.  Understand that temperature and airflow can affect the reliability of electronics.

Try installing from media only; do not use a mirror:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-10.4.0-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Checksum the ISO file after you download it.

Checksum the installation media after you have burned it and before you have booted it (installer images on USB flash drives can and do change when booted).

Document the choices you make while running the installer.

David

Thanks for your suggestions! I will first try to find another RAM stick that I know is good, and try install again: it seems faster than trying to diagnose a faulty RAM stick.