motivation for switching to Debian? (was: Re: debsecan does not report a vulnerability?)

Ihor Antonov wrote:

> Separately - I also happened to run a couple of FreeBSD boxes, could you share
> your motivation for switching to Debian?

There are two major issues:

1. Lack of proper support for FreeBSD in AWS. Despite Colin's efforts
(and I'm subscribed to his Patreon) there is always something that works
in Debian and does not work in FreeBSD (hot plugging/unplugging of EBS
volumes is one notorious example).

2. FreeBSD's inability to install simultaneously multiple versions of
PHP and multiple versions of Postgres. While both tasks are very easy in
Debian, in FreeBSD this would involve manual work, jails etc (the
standard pkg system does not support this).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/