Re: saving the xfce desktop background, including color gradients on the sides

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 1:53 PM Cindy Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
On 5/9/20, Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the xfce desktop, there's an application that lets you set the desktop
> background.
>
> Applications > Settings > Desktop
>
> In the "Background" tab, it lets you set a few items, including a Style,
> such as "Scaled", a Color, such as "Horizontal gradient", as well as a
> picture that goes in the center of the desktop, with a couple of colors for
> the left and right, or top and down, depending on the aspect ratio of the
> desktop and the aspect ratio of the picture.
>
> I would like some way to save the settings, because sometimes it's tricky
> to get the colors just right.  If i could save the settings, then i could
> change the picture and the colors, and then at some time in the future,
> revert to just what i had before.
>
> Perhaps it would be possible to take a screenshot and use it, but that is
> less desirable because the information is not in any parsed form (so, e.g.,
> you could not tweak the panels to the left and right of the image, as they
> would be frozen by a screen shot).
>
> I guess i could keep a text file and copy all the settings to it, including
> the color names as  6 character strings like D3D5D0.
>
> Is there some better way to save the background info?

I found a start, if nothing else! 'Cause I certainly "feel your pain"
on finding a perfect custom match that needs saved... for posterity.
:)

I changed mine then ran grep on ".* -r". This is what I got:

.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml

You could make your changes then save a backup copy of that XML file
somewhere, even there in that same directory *IF* you trust you'll
never accidentally delete those.. *NOT* hidden files. Ask tomas, I
think it was, who once explained why they're not really "hidden", per
se..

I did see some fields for colors so here's hoping it's an all-in-one
package, which it really should be based on its name.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with... a FROST ADVISORY in the middle of May?! runs... and
covers up the pretty green bouncing baby grapevines. *

Awesome, thanks Cindy!

I think this will work perfectly for my need.

dan