Re: Should I enable "testing"

Le 09/05/2020 à 09:44, J.Arun Mani a écrit :
Hi
Out of some curiosity, I enabled "testing" repo last night. So I my /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:
```
# See https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList <https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList> for more information.
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> buster main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> buster main

2 previous lines to be removed, now useless

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> buster-updates main deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> buster-updates main

idem

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ <http://security.debian.org/debian-security/> buster/updates main deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ <http://security.debian.org/debian-security/> buster/updates main

idem

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> testing main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian <http://deb.debian.org/debian> testing main
```
Then I got some 1 GB of updates and I installed those. So far so good, but now I'm having a rest-less heart that I did something wrong. I feel like I should have stayed in "stable". This now troubles me.

Too late := Indeed you now are under testing intead of stable. You will have more recent packages and more frequent updates. In general testing works all right, but you are not as protected against potential bugs as stable, because testing is a repo for testing. And fixes come about 10 days later, the time to be accepted and tested in unstable

The question is, shall I revert back to "stable"?

No, would be impossible and catastrophic. Either re-install, or try testing now, could be good for you. Reverting a such big upgrade is impossible (or very difficult and unsafe)

If yes, how can I do it? Possibly uninstall those new packages and downgrade to stable ones.

Re-install

Regards

Please help me out
J Arun Mani